Tuesday 15 April 2008

Season Finale

Colin writes about his final event of the season.
I decided to give my final TT of the season (Nottingham Cl. '25') a miss on Saturday and trek down to London for a party where I bumped into brother Alan, after getting caught in traffic jam on the M1 at 12.30! we did not get to bed until 2am so getting up for my final race on Sunday was a bit of a drag. Still I made it to the start line of the Lincoln Whs RR at Eagle just outside Lincoln. I had ridden this event the last couple of years a 3/4 event preceded by a 3/Vets over 60 flat miles which is always a bit of a 'burn up' It was a bright and windless morning better than many in the summer that was washed away.
The beauty of this event is that it's open to vets of any category so there is always a sprinkling of 'supervets' that make for an attacking race and more like an LVRC event than a normal RR, sure enough a break of six was away on the first lap as I sat in the bunch waiting for my body to wake up and join the race, It took a while to get the bunch organised and another two laps to pull the break back as they were working well, several Doncaster Whs. riders I'd been thrashing all season in TT's were in front as I bridged across with Malcolm Smith (Fenland Cl.) winner of the Percy Stallard Series, we had built up a bit of a competition during the season since getting 1st and 2nd in an early season RR.
With a lap to go Ian Furness and Bradley Johnson of the Doncaster Whs. went away again to take the win and after trying a solo attack and then with four others who got up to me came to nothing I decided to wait for the sprint. Unlike my brother my sprinting has got inversely proportionally worse the more TT's I've done so I was pleased to get up for eventual 8th place in a mass finish.

No comments: