Tuesday 15 April 2008

Colin's Bank Holiday Racing ...........#1

Further to my Bank Holiday dilemma as mentioned last week. I had already decided to ride both events (Congleton and...a3crg 50's) as I have entered one final 100 mile TT in two weeks time and two hard rides would extend and enhance any chance of doing a sub 4 hour ride and capitalise on my form rather than let my season tail off.
Saturday was sunny and calm for a change, and I only had to do battle with the Bank Holiday traffic on the M6 to get to the start just south of Manchester. I had ridden the event last year on the way up to the Lakes and liked the 3 lap format of almost 17m, starting No 50 I had done a brief scour of the results on the CTT website to see what my opponents were capable of and decided a mid 1.56 would be enough to win the event. As it turned out i was well up on this schedule after 2 laps and so eased off knowing I had Mondays ride to come and finished with a 1.56.11 At the finish i was alarmed to see that No 10 had come in 34 secs faster! This was all the more annoying because he had sat on my back wheel all through my second lap (his third) and then had the nerve to go past me up behind a London double decker bus(I kid you not), I pointed this out to No 45 who i was catching at the time and then remonstrated with the rider as i passed him again some miles later "I may have to report you" not thinking of the consequences (I had already caught him for over a minute and thought he was out of the placings equation) he dropped back and i never gave it a second thought that he would beat me! As it was there was four riders with 1.57 rides so my effort should have been enough to win the event so i had no option to hand in a written complaint about the winners riding............to be continued.

No comments: