Tuesday 15 April 2008

Lake District Weekend

No bike riding this weekend as Fi and I are visiting family in the Lakes the week before Xmas, While Fi and her sister entertain their father in the Cheshire Homes nursing home at Holehird I do a bit of mild hill walking up the adjacent mountain to the top of Ill Belle on the Kentmere Horseshoe above Troutbeck. Freezing conditions make the long grass glisten with ice and they bob in the breeze like Tibetan prayer flags, but it's no day to stand around and I need to keep walking to keep warm. I can see the cars crawling up the lower slopes of the Kirkstone Pass on the opposite side of the valley, It will be closed as soon as the snow falls but luckily there is none yet only a cover on all the tops which are mostly also in the cloud. On the way down I pass a few mountain bikers walking or at least progressing very slowly over the rocky packhorse route to the saddle and on to Kentmere, one shares a passing resemblance to tennis ace Andy Murray struggling in bottom gear, I give them a shout as I jog down to meet Fi outside the Church in Troutbeck for Coffee and a Mince pie


No comments: