Tuesday 15 April 2008

Personel Best '25' - 52.51

Colin writes about one of the fastest 25 mile events of the year.
I broke my PB for 25 miles in the Stone Wheelers event on the A50 between Blyth Bridge and Utoxeter on Saturday afternoon. The course had to be modified in the days before the event due to roadworks giving a longer (downwind) outward section, the event was cancelled last year for the same reason. I was off early and by the time I had finished 3 miles of cones had been removed from the carriageway and it was open as usual so all the re-measuring and upheaval for a couple of hours work!
I felt with my current form I had a chance of getting within touching distance of Roger Hammonds Club record as it's less severe than his 10 record which I feel needs some serious speed work. I started well enough with the first 10 miles under the wheels in 19.20 the fastest I've ever gone in a TT. With the turn moved out to 15m I reached that at a shade under 31mph av. so no time wasted! I was still on course at the 20 mile point in 40.43 but from here things fell apart somewhat and I lost the best part of two minutes in the last five miles (uphill and against the wind) to come home with 52.51 a 3.39 beating of my PB done last year.
It was a super fast event with the winner Chas McCulloch of Artic Shorter RC in a seasons best 48.24 (He'd done a 18 min 10 on the Levens course last week), Ruth Eyles Beacon RC best lady in 54.03 (and a Vet) and the Vet's prize going to 79 yr. old Dennis Milsom inside the hour 59.39 followed by 77 yr. old Ron Hallam 58.27
On the Sunday morning I rode the ANDCC(don't ask!) '25' on the super slow (their description) A25/2 based around Granby in the Vale of Belvoir. Al Salter of the Walsall RCC won in a time of 55.15 I was nearly a minute and a half off the pace in 56.41 for (equal) 4th place with legs tired from the day before and the blustery conditions not allowed to 'ride in' on the triangular course with more changes of direction than an America's Cup race
I raced both days as I have my last counting event for the BBAR next week, the Yorkshire RC '50' up on the A19 in North Yorkshire.

No comments: