Tuesday 15 April 2008

Ride to Work - Record


When preparing my 'Ride to Work' feature I said I had never done the ride at anywhere near 19 mph well that all changed this Wednesday when I romped around my morning 35 mile ride at 19.3 mph to beat my all time record of 18.6 mph. On a 49 x 19 fixed gear (675mm diameter wheel equates to a gear of 68.6 inches) giving me 294 revolutions per mile that is an average of 95 revs per minute for the One hour Fifty minutes. Alarmingly I was only at 17.8mph at 11 miles (3428 revs at approx 90 r.p.m.) which means that I went allot faster over the final 25 miles (6859 revs at approx 98 r.p.m). I have to say that dropping down one of the descents I topped out at 33.5 mph which is a whopping 165 r.p.m but I didn't keep it up for long. If you have a hankering for working on your pedalling I can heartily reccommend a 'fixed' for general and recovery rides, have a look at jbarrm.com for working out your gearing and pedalling ratios

No comments: