Tuesday 15 April 2008

Colin's Bank Holiday Racing ...........#2



After Alan impressed in the Surrey League 3 Day at Ockley in glorious sunshine and we then watch the field struggle up Leigh hill to the finish (Why so cruel?), It was my turn for some pain and suffering on the Bank Holiday Morning. As the penultimate man I had the luxury of an extra hour in bed and the shock of Kevin Dawson catching me just after seven miles in the ...a3crg (even the people in the club don't know what this means!) 50 mile TT on the A3 between Petersfield and Farnham. The fast start meant a 21.20 first ten miles and I kept to my 1.50 schedule and went through 25 miles in 54.28 The second half I could feel Saturdays ride in my legs and the breeze stiffened and I was the only person on the road (over the two leg course and eccentric layout of the field!) Alan handed me up a hot coffee and together with a caffeine gel I hoped enough stimulant to get me to the finish! as I ground my way up to the final turn (on my 56 chain ring) But the final seven miles 'all cream' as they say as I topped out at 40 mph to record a PB and Club record 1.51.50 I had lost a bit in the second half and my time (only) good enough for 15th place in this ultra fast event where no less than half the field recorded PB's (51 in total!)



An age standard record for 81 yr old Ray Dare in 2.18.53 (+47.03) and fastest Lady/Vet Julia Shaw 1.55.11 (57.41) outstanding rides. Kevin Dawson was the outright winner with 1.42.24 (50.42) to consolidate his grip on the BBAR the only down side the course is un available for the next 5 years as the Punchbowl Tunnel is under construction.

No comments: