Monday 28 September 2009

End of season blues

Returned my fastest '25' of the year in the Team Swift event on my 'local' A50 event this Saturday afternoon, event closed on a middle 54 minute ride so allot was expected especially after the super fast Port Talbot event the week before when Chris Boardman's Competition record was broken by Ireland's Worlds TT entry David McCann (Pheonix CC) 45:54 (Finished a creditable 11th)
Again it was a story of two half's, with the harder outgoing leg dominating my performance, I was OK to begin with but my effort slipped away in the several harder sections and I was only 28:40 (26.12mph) at half distance some two minuted down on my 5 minute man Baz Charlton (Lyme RC), he only took 30 seconds out on the return 24:30 (30.61mph) as I got into my stride to finish in 53.11 Event was won by Matt Bottrill (I-Ride) 48:59 the only rider to break 50 minutes, Richard Handley coming close with 50:03 and Stuart Dodd 50:11 a minute back on last week, Charlton an un accustomed 4th in 50:28. and most agreed it was 1-2 minutes slower than the Welsh event.
On the Sunday I had a promisingly fast '10' in the Team Midland Racing event on the A46 near Alcester but again there was a big difference in the out & home legs with me taking only 10 minutes to the turn but an agonising 12 minutes to come back to record 4th fastest of the day 22:05 youngster Dean Robson (Somerset RC) running out winner in 20:30 from promoting club Rob Weare 21.28
Getting to the end of the season now, only got a couple more weeks of racing to go before I can have a jolly good rest. Talk after the race is of last weeks super fast race (15 riders inside 50 minutes) and Fabien Cancellara performance in the Worlds TT which he won by by two and a half minutes. The most impressive piece of time trialling I think I have ever seen. The sheer speed of his cadence almost defied what we have all come to perceive as 'fast' it must have been above 110 RPM for the race on a far from flat course, his time would equate to a 43 minute '25' (35mph) as he made the other pro riders look ordinary and had caught the silver medallist (for a minute) and then Bradley Wiggins for two minutes who looked likely to take the bronze until his untimely mechanical mishap on the final hill with 10Km to go.
The result board is generally more chatty and people hang around a bit longer to talk to rivals and friends, I always try to keep up with what other riders have been doing during the season but its time to ask other (and yourself) how you found it? beat your targets? enjoyed the best/worst? Starting to analyse what went right and wrong and thoughts are already turning to what to change for next year, I have to pull up a bit until I have a proper chance to take it all in. Phew!

No comments: