Tuesday 15 September 2009

2 x 25 + 10

We had the first decent week of weather in ages and I was able to train without fear of being blown or washed away so come the weekend I felt like I'd prepared well. Stone Whs. '25' on the Saturday afternoon was a repeat of the Manchester Whs. two weeks before but the conditions as I made my way up the M1 and A50 nearly to Stoke were more promising, I did 25 minutes on the rollers in the warm sun I built up a head of steam with a towel over my neck as the sweat poured onto the ground.
The wind had got up a bit but was much the same as before, I slightly misjudged my time so went to the start in a bit of a panic but had five minutes to compose myself before pushing into the race, I decided to take the first part of the ride a touch easier and leave myself something for the return so my 19:30 at 10 miles and 24:20 at half distance some way down on before (18:25 & 23:04 respectively) I went better on the way back but was some 11 seconds short of my previous time with 53:40 so not able to make a difference with a different strategy, my RPM in both 85 and my pulse 152 Av. / 160 Max almost the same (152 / 158)
My dad used to say "Does not matter if you start fast, go fast in the middle, or at the end, you always end up with the same time" It seems on this occasion he is probably true, I feel that this course with such a discrepancy in speed one way is just not for me and I require a more even paced course. Although it did not deter Charles McCulloch (Shorter) who recorded 49:02 the only man over 30mph road man Richard Handley 2nd (KUK) 50:38 and Manchester Whs. winner Baz Charlton (Lyme RC)a second faster 50:59 3rd.
Sunday I had another '25' the ANDCC 'Lighthouse Trophy' over a sporting circuit at Granby in the Vale Of Belvoir, a 9.00am start was generous but we all wished we had started an hour earlier as the wind got up to spoil the morning. I was 6th overall in 57.46 but back on form after his aberrant behaviour in the BTTC event last week Matt Bottrill (I-Ride) banged out an astonishing 52.23 to beat the next man by nearly 4 minutes. I went home to make 10Kg of damson jam!

Stone Wheelers Result

ANDCC Result

No comments: