Friday 4 September 2009

The Elements - Empirical lessons Pt.1

Every ride at this time in the season is dominated by the weather, will I get a good day to improve my time this season? I'm at the peak of fitness and recovered from the workload that dominates the run up to the 12 Hour in which every ride plays a part in providing a foundation for the vital half day that is the extreme of all my racing, you know you are in good condition but will the conditions be good for you?
A cursory glance at the weather forecast becomes a full blown prayer to the gods that it will be good, half decent, not terrible just not like it is now with the trees outside bending to breaking point and the dark skies pregnant with foreboding for another downpour.
Wind and rain has made for a testing few weeks that have stretched to months in this island we call home and Time Trialling is not called 'Testing' for no reason, but just now it seems particularly apt as I try to spin a positive outlook on what has been a dreadful summer and the statistic that in the few weeks that remain I am going to be 'Tested' more for my patients than for my speed.
Having said that there is still allot of fun to be had at the expense of the weather and all it can throw at me, I had a potentially fast couple of events at the week end, on the Bank Holiday Monday the ...a3crg '50' down south on the A3 near Petersfield had taken on greater significant as my fastest ride at this distance was looking in jeopardy as the CTT (the governing body of TT'ing) was not likely to ratify the BDCA '50' times in which I'd done my PB a few weeks ago so the hunt was on for those riders who were relieing on it for their seasons best.
Before that the Manchester Whs. '25' on the local'ish A50 (Stoke end) and with another windy day blowing up a storm the prospect of fast times only at the expense of back breaking effort. Sure enough despite a mile into the wind at the start I went through ten miles in 18.22 or 33 mph, at least I now know that top gear at 100 RPM is 40 mph - So this is what it feels like to be Michael Hutchinson! The far end of the A50 is known to the TT'ing community as 'The concrete hill' and so as you approach the last part it takes on the spectre of the Alp d'Huez as I pound my way up at a speed obliterated by the sweat coursing off my chin as my nose touches close to the computer on my bars.
My final time of 53:28 good enough for 13th place on the day sandwiched between a couple of good juniors Alex Royal and Jack Green, but Barry Charlton of the local Lyme RC a clear winner with 51:00.
A rest day on Sunday but still a journey down to S. London as the ...a3crg is early next morning, so I recourse to do a few laps of Richmond Park in the late afternoon with a few hardy souls on bikes and the deer grazing close to the road in light traffic. The wind dominated and I barely manage 'Evens' as I try to manage recovery from the day before with preparation for the event ahead, in the end I just do a gradual increase every lap but nothing spectacular and retire to do a bit of stretching as I find this almost as good.
Travelling over the Hogs Back in early morning mist the event is not certain to take place, the organiser is out on the course (with his metaphorical finger in the air) and the full field (+ reserves) on tenterhooks as we hope the rising wind will shift the fog but not spoil the day which looks promising. We get the go ahead and each rider proceeds to the line, the decent of Hillbrow makes for an exhilarating start and we hope this gift will not take a penalty in kind.
I go well all through the first lap (25m) so my preparation has done the trick and I feel good, I pull well on the undulating roads using my big gears over the crest with ease. My time at half way is 54 minutes dead a little disappointing for how well I feel but if my second half is just as good then my seasonal dilemma will be much reduced, the wind is holding fast and I can get on with the race and not battle the elements.
I think I pay the price for early exuberance in the second half as my style becomes laboured and I cannot hold my speed, I do the best I can with dwindling resources and have to dig deep on the last climb to the Ham Barn interchange, the last 6 miles is less of a problem and I cross the finish 1:16 slower in the second half for a final time of 1:49:16. It is a good effort on a day that sees some spectacular rides, none more so than the winner Steve Dennis (East Grinstead CC) 1:40:50 to put minutes between himself and a classy field of riders. My ride is good enough for 14th on the day 3 seconds ahead of Andy Jackson (Pedalsport) and 15 seconds ahead of Paul Holdsworth (Houndslow & Dist CC), this leaves the three of us 9th 10th and 11th in the BBAR we have been having a private battle all season for that top 10 spot and It has been nip and tuck in the last few weeks as seconds make the difference between our final miles per hour tally.

Result ..a3crg '50'

Pics Here

No comments: