Wednesday 4 July 2012

Masters of the Universe

A terrible week at work compounded by bad weather meant I'd only done 30 miles on the bike up to the Friday and even a ride before I set off  for the British Masters Track Championships was thwarted by the rain and wind so I arrived at Newport 11pm somewhat unprepared. The previous weekend had almost been as bad and I rode the Walsall RC '25' on Etwall and then a more local  Hinckley CRC '25' in the wind and then wind and rain to undistinguished 57:12 and 1:01:06 respectively on my 94" fixed that was supposed to prepare me for the challenge of racing on the boards at high speed.
Silver,  Bronze and  4th - Almost a set
I could not face the 500m first thing on Saturday morning and sat it out thinking that the 10Km Scratch race would get me in the mood for racing, I went out for a 20 mile spin late morning to ease my legs off but it was still blowing a gale outside our little Velodrome bubble but I could not face being inside with dozens of other riders and opted for the lanes around the stadium which were quite and flat.
The Scratch race in my new 50-54 age group was a fairly tame affair. with only twenty riders and fairly tactical, although (Ex Old Ports) Phil Watkins and Mick Davis (Loughborough) made a valiant attempt to get away the bunch kept them in sight and nullified the move with 3Km to go, a new name to me but he had won the Sprint the previous day Ralph Carter (London Dynamo) and Jeff Baird (G S Metro) had a go but it came apart under the pressure of the finish with only Carter off the front doing a strong ride for a 'Sprinter'. Trevor Burke (Finchley RT) went after him, I was a bit slow off the mark and he had 20 meters on me but I made my way over the top of all the other riders at the bell in an effort not to become trapped on the inside and led out the sprint with 500m Silver medallist Ivor Ried (Clacknacuddin CC) a black clad shadow on my wheel and despite my best efforts he pipped me by less than half a wheel, Trevor had an even closer winning margin (Photo) over Carter on the line.
2Km Pursuit

I was pretty pleased with my effort, a bit of inattention and leading out Ried for the last 3 laps cost me a medal but as my coach (and father) used to say, in the last 3 laps only go past people, let them sort their own race out. I had a disturbed night probably the result of too much excitement and stimulation, coffee and red wine not helping. The 2Km Pursuit the next morning was an event I'd never won a medal at so with the reduced distance and no specific preparation to speak of I was in the dark as to how I would compare.
The judges rated me for a medal as I was in the penultimate heat against Carter but in the home straight so third seed, I only had a 95" gear on as getting away the key and so it proved, my 'lineman' had me up but Carter came back and was up with 3 to go, I put in my customary strong finish from 3 laps out, I was level with 2 to go and pulled out a second to record 2:28.745 to Carters 2:29.619, the final heat was an easy win for Burke 2:25.040 and as his opponent Davis could only manage 6th fastest and no other rider had beaten my time I had the Silver and my first Pursuiting National medal.

There was a long wait until the Points race in the evening so I went out for another 20 mile ride at lunch and those Pursuits surely take it out of your legs. There were only 15 riders for the final 15Km event, sixty laps and six sprints to decide a winner, I always sit out the first as they are always too hectic but I may have to revise this as there is little enough to get your teeth into. I went away with Davis after Baird and we made a trio but the speed was not enough and even though I won the next sprint easily we were pulled back, Burke took my 'softening up' to his advantage and went for a lap and nobody could go with him, he was the class rider of the weekend in our group and this effort to lap the field in less than ten laps netted him his third title of the Championships. I attacked allot to make sure there was no chance for others to recover and even though I only missed getting points at one other sprint I was pipped for the Silver by one point by Carter, I think as Burke had the lap he did not contest the remaining sprints that vigorously and that made it difficult for me to contain Carter even though I got up for 2nd place in the final sprint (with one away) and him out of contention but I had my second podium spot for the weekend.
15Km Points race
Full Masters Results here

No comments: