Tuesday 12 June 2012

PM 25 (A11) + AM 50 (A1) x 102 = 169.5

VTTA '25' - Four-went-ways (All Pics - David Jones)
A double header that I did last year on the same two courses with pretty much the same results with the added plus that I rode a 'Fixed' in both evens and still in the first flush of racing so not near my racing fitness yet, with the British Masters track at the end of the month time is short to get thoes muscles prepared so a bit o' back to back racing the best solution to winkle out some of the dormant form that might be useful on the boards. I'd been doing some work in London so a stay over in NE London and a brief morning ride was all that I managed as a build up but its good to do things differently and preparation can't always be ideal so better to put yourself under a bit of discomfort in preparation so you can be prepared for all eventualities. I was one of the later starters in the VTTA Championship '25' I thought the wind of the past few days would blow itself out but not soon enough for the Saturday afternoon on the Newmarket bypass. I chose (54 x 14) 102" gear as I have decided to make every event a 'fixed' one (where possible) but there was no doubt it was going to be an uneven ride but nothing I can do about it as I've only got the one bike, sometimes you can have too much choice and live too much in the comfort zone

Perfect Day (with gilet) - Finsbury '50' (A1)
A fixed wheel is a lovely sensation for racing when you can get the momentum of your ride to carry you along from one section of the course to another like a demented hamster in a wheel but when faced with a full on head wind it becomes a bit of a grind just to survive, that unfortunately was what I was faced with on the outbound leg along the A14/11 DC course, I dare not look at my computer which found itself set on 3.1 miles so somewhat better than the previous week but even my addled brain could not work out the splits so all I can say was I was 30:36 to the 12.5m turn (24.50mph) so looking forward to some reward.
And lovely it was, 30mph all the way and my 85 RPM transformed into a 110 RPM rhapsody of sporting performance and syncopated perfection, well maybe not that exquisite but it felt pretty good to me, not enough time to recoup my losses but 55:56 (28th) a damn fine time for the conditions. Of course my time pales into the shade of my minute man Kevin Tye (Datateam Allstars!) who won the event with a staggering 49:54 he took 4 minutes out of me on the outward leg and 2 on the return (What a boy!) The main difference being that he actually won the Championship (on Standard) as well. Although defending champion 75 year old Derek Stewart (Deeside Thistle) was 2nd under the new 'Standards'  so with a good rage of ages represented in the top 10 it looks like the team that put the new tables together (Research + Calculus + Fibonacci) had done a creditable job
I bumped into Jonathon now in Epsom colours and allot of other riders wanting to know what I'd been up to and had I been training in Mexico and had weight loss surgery at the same time? A mystery to me as I'm exactly the same weight and it must be seeing me in civvy's that put them off and more than one person was heard to mention "Where were my 'baggy' shorts?" and with "Some onions I'd be mistaken for a Frenchman"

Finsbury '50' - Hard going up some of them slopes
Getting up at 4.30 for a race can be laced with fear and trepidation but when faced with such a beautiful morning, as I was on the next day, makes you forget that you have tired legs. The Finsbury is a long standing fixture of the racing season and a good field from these parts despite the National & VTTA '25' the day before, a spin on the rollers to ease the legs into race condition and I'm off up & down the A1 from Sandy in the South to Buckden in the North via the Black Cat roundabout. I took it steady over the first 10 miles easing up to jettison my gilet that I forgot to remove at the start, getting down to business I'd caught everybody in front of me just after the first 25m lap (56:36), I could have done with dropping my gear a couple of inches as I was pedalling just that little bit too slow (90 RPM) for me to feel comfortable but at least it was pretty even all the way around as the flags stayed asleep on their poles and the roads damp with the early dew hummed under my silky tyres. I could see quite a few riders going well but I just had to ride my race to its conclusion and I could feel twinges of cramp over the last 10 miles so I did not push too hard as I could feel the previous days efforts all over, a racing performance is total immersion and no part of the rider escapes inspection by the course
1:53:34 was a great time and dare I say it was easy, I always try my hardest but the conditions are a gift and when you get a perfect present of a morning it seems churlish not to be grateful for not having to wish your life away, so take it for what it is and be happy for those that got up at the ungodly hour and made the best of their reward. Lots of PB's and good times so I'm not fretting being down the result a bit. Steve Berry (Team Swift) wins it with 1:42:59

VTTA '25' Result Here

Finsbury '50'  Result Here

No comments: