Thursday 26 July 2012

CLUB RECORD (1:47:40) - 'Fixed wheel fever'

Shaftsbury '50'  - Always out the saddle (Pic Dave Jones)

I had a double header at the weekend in the East of the country, the first challenge the Shaftsbury CC '50' on the Newmarket bypass (A14-A11)and around, a quality field assembled and looking like perfect conditions, light wind and the first heat of the summer. I was off early and I too almost missed my start but made it with a minute to spare once again on my 56 x 14 (106") fixed, Fiona was out to help and popped up all over the course but I was pretty focused and did the ride unaided on a single bottle and one gel at half distance. Taking things a bit easy this year I had no anticipation of breaking any records so It was as much a surprise to me that I took 12 seconds off my own personnel best (& a club record) for the seventh time in 5 years, I don't know the last senior rider to break a club record on a fixed but probably in the 50's when it was the only option. My friend Mick Ward the last rider to win a Championship on a fixed (Obree excepted) in the late 50's (on an 88" or possibly a 90") then along came gears and the 'Roadmen' took over Hoban, Woodburn and Simpson, the old ways were left behind

My dad was keen on us riding fixed and we used to as Schoolboys and Juniors, Steve Gowar broke the Junior '10' record on 88" in 1979. On the national stage Chris Boardman used fixed to great effect breaking the '25' record on 110" in his preparation for the hour record and of course Graham Obree broke all his records on a fixed but even that was surpassed on this day by Scott Povey (drag2zero) who managed 1:38:54 on 112" gear and he was only 3rd! the winner with the second fastest '50' of all time Andy Wilkinson (Port Sunlight Whs) 1:36:31 from Adam Topham (High Wycombe) 1:38:05. Team PedalRevoloution Mr's Bason/Bowdler and Arnold beat comp record for a team to add to their record in the '100'. 'Wilco' using his customary 'Mountain bike' frame with triple but he told me he borrowed a 56 chainring for the occasion - first time he ever used one
First Club Record on a fixed for over 30 years

I'd taken it easy at the start only 11:01 for the first 5 miles but a string of near 30mph splits (10:19/10:10/10:24/) and with the bone jarring turn now resurfaced my slowest split of 11:11 put me at 53:04 for half distance. It was harder on the way back but with me barely outside 11 minutes for the remainder and a 10:41 final I thought I would be outside the record but to my supprise my computer was in error and the time keepers chequered board came along at 49.5 miles so I was inside, I could hardley believe it

On the Sunday there was a 50th anniversary invitation event on the A1 promoted by the Verulam CC, I of course was in the accompanying event not studded with current and past stars so while I could not hope to compete withTeam Sky's Alex Dowsett I could at least say I raced against him. 

On the Sunday morning I wasn't rudely awakened by my alarm so when I took a look at 6.45 I was already an hour late and only an hour until I was due in front of the timekeeper, not helped by going to the wrong HQ and the right HQ being a couple of miles further from the start than anticipated. For my shame I had to pass a rider (sorry No 59!) who was racing on my way to the start but I made it nonetheless albeit unprepared and in no state to race.
The A1 at Bedford is made for a fixed wheel and on a summer morning with light wind should be a joy, my legs beg to differ, with less miles (and fitness) in them their ability to make an effort two days running is suspect and after a supreme effort the day before they were not willing to double up on their pain,
Yes that gear felt OK yesterday but today it felt immense and unwieldy

Now recovered from his injury earlier in the season but still not on form enough to get in the Olympic team Dowsett ran out the winner of the invitation by a whopping 2 minutes 47:31 to Matt Bottril's (drag2zero) creditable 49:33 with Andy Wilkinson just under another two 51:17. The supporting event won by Lee Turner (La Fuega) myself ringing up 14th with 57:04

  Verulam '25' - Out the saddle again (Pic Dave Jones)

Shaftsbury Resuly Here 

Verulam CC Result Here

Verulam Invitation Here 

No comments: