Friday 19 June 2009

Mallory Park #9 (Tues & Thurs) Re-visited

This week a double helping of criterium action on the open expanse of Mallory Park motor racing circuit, used for the 1970 World Champ's so been graced by some noted cycling talent including current BC coaching supremo Doug Dailey, that was my first visit to Leicester when Edward Heath had just been voted in as Prime Minister and Brazil defeats Italy 4-0 in the World Cup Final


On the Tuesday 3/4/L/J always a big field (50 this week) and I'm always one of the last to sign on although I only work six miles away, I always ride up so no need for a warm up but tonight a lovely warm evening and I won two weeks ago so I get a few annoyed looks as I dash up last thing and get my number.
Race follows a similar pattern each week as those there to race make a break for it and those that follow the wheels in the indolent bunch weaves and wallows after them in fits and starts, I usually try and get in the break as I get a steady ride for my TT legs won't stand all that stop & start action and I'm usually after a bit of midweek rest bite action away from training on my own.


Down from a 2nd cat last year so I have the option of Tues or Thurs which suits as the latter is usually too hard a race close to the weekend and I can pick and choose how hard I make the racing for myself, on this occasion after a good race at the w/e I feel up for a bit more and I'm off the front with a couple of others ?? (Ashfield RC) and Paul Wain (MI Racing), after 10 laps we are pulled back and Richard Wittaker (Derby Mer.) goes again and quickly gets 30 seconds with Wain I do not have a bottle but Fiona arrives just in the nick of time to hand one up with 10 to go, I have tried to stimulate the bunch into chasing but in the end have to take off with Ex Pro Richard Birkin (Ashfield RC) and 'old stager' Jeff Jones (Websters) who knows how to follow the race and get in the 'moves' but not got it in his legs to make it all the way and we shed him otherwise we are going too slow to close the gap. We gradually make our way up to the leading duo with 2 laps left, I feel strong but Wain is also looking good and so it proves in the finishing sprint I have him on my wheel as I lead out the sprint and he comes past me in the sprint and I have to settle for 2nd. Should I have gone for a long one?


On the Thurs a different matter all together, E/1/2/3 and a smaller field (Only 20) but plenty of quality and the Big Guns (Pro's) riding the City Centre Series so I can hang on as the pace tends to be fast/very fast and my poor old legs give up. Again a few skirmishes lead to me being away with another Ashfield RC rider Liam Hallam and we work well in the Windy/Blustery conditions a couple get up to us and we are all pulled back, then Phil Howell(Boneshaker), Lewis Cowley (Plan B) and Matt Jennings (Cyclebargains) make a break and have over 30 seconds as the bunch fights itself and I try and hang on, again Owain Lovell (Ashfield RC) goes and we make a working partnership again, two others Matt Jennings (Cyclebargains) & Llwellyn Byrne (SIS) and we are a smooth working quartet and I feel happy away from the schizophrenic bunch. We pull up to the trio and the bunch is half a lap down as we enter the last 10 laps, with six to go the attacks start and I can manage one or two but get tailed off after doing a large percentage of the work (to get up to the front and that's what I'm here for & how I like it!) with 5 to go, a lone rider David Brown (??) catches me and I hang on to the bell but loose it last time up the hill and come in on my own in 8th but best 3rd cat rider. A very hard evenings work and the sweat has been pouring off my peak all night but my legs felt good and didn't give out until the end so I know I'm on top form for the National 50 on Saturday

Tuesday result here
Thursday result here

8th but happy (1st Third Cat)

No comments: