Monday 15 June 2009

BDCA '100' (Reel around the Fountain)

Paul Alderson made the long trip up to the Midlands in an effort to unlock his form in a season where he is doing more Road Racing and frustratingly finds himself unable to turn on his 'Testing' legs, but experience counts for alot over the longer distances and Paul is a man with a mission to unlock the form he had earlier in the year

Paul away from the bustle of the A50 on the dog leg to Doveridge

I did not see him go to the line as he was in the first wave (No 25) and me over an hour later (No 100) so he was well on the road in the sweltering heat of a June day that had be forecast to be overcast. Thankfully the sirocco winds which blew last year were absent although because of roadworks they were using the modified three lap course instead of the usual (and faster) two lap course which goes all the way up to Blyth Bridge.
I had a team of helpers which is a boon under these conditions, Fiona as Executive Chef and Adrian her Sous, I did not have to worry too much about my feeding strategy later in the race as they handed me what I needed but even they ran out of water as the race progressed and ended up a little dehydrated themselves. I just took a couple of Gels a 750ml of Carbohydrate mix and a 500ml of water at the start and Fi had orders to get bottle to me before half way.

I started cautiously as we had a slight headwind for the first 25 miles including a couple of dog legs at Doveridge (covered every lap) and to the JCB factory along the B5030 north of Uttoxeter (only the once). A fishing competition was taking place in the private lake in the factory grounds and the scene looked idyllic and I wondered as I punched my way along what the appeal was of sitting by the water staring at a float?

Once I got back on the A50 things picked up (25m in 56.50) and my speed increased from 26.4 to 27mph at the end of the first lap, I was a bit shocked to be passed by No 102 going very well but when 30 seconds up the road he stopped gaining and when we headed back up the A50 he began to come back to me on every slope and hard section. I re-passed him with a glance as if to say this is a 100 mile race on the hardest section of the course the Doveridge dogleg although not yet at half way I was far from sure of my own pacing but I felt I was moving well and my preparation and experience was finally paying dividends. Fifty mlies came and went in 1.53.30 and my confidence grew on the easy(ier) section and I had the luxury of pouring water on my legs to cool them something you cannot do if you are only caring enough liquid to cover the distance, the shoulders of my skin suit had a layer of salt and my face a host of flies and fluff drifting across the late afternoon sky as the heat went out of the day and I felt more comfortable. I shouted at Paul as our paths crossed, he was catching a group of 5-6 riders on his final lap, he looked like he was in a Road Race.
The evening was fairly becalmed and once in the final third of the race I began to feel confident although it was not until 12 miles to go that I knew I would get inside my target time (3.50). I was pulling back time on Andy Jackson (Pedalsport) 10 minutes in front but last time up the dogleg I took a bottle of coffee as a booster and to clear the taste of sickly carb drink from my pallet. I finished with a bit of a flourish but It was the best section of the course and I could feel all that resistance melting under the force of my attack which is how you want to feel at the end of an event not slogging it out to the line.

My final time 3.47.52 for 9th place only 2 minutes outside my best which I would surely have bettered on the original course but better still only 10 minutes behind the winner Sean Childs (Royal Navy) 3.37.18 who beat me by 10 minutes in the Lea Valley '50' two weeks ago so definitely something to build on rather than a negative. Paul had a bit of a torrid time with erroneous computer which led him to believe he was going slower than he was and lost heart as a result (something that happened to me in a '100' last year and leaves you demoralised just at the point you need mental strength) He said he perked up in the second half to finish strongly although both of us suffered with cramp on the last lap a result of the big gears and de hydration. He finished in a respectable 4.04.22 his experience at riding these sort of distances paid off in the end and many who started too fast suffered in the second half.
No racing for me on the Sunday, Fi went back to Leicester with the kit and I went off with Adrian to Shropshire for a day of R & R, there was no sign of roadworks on the A50 at Blyth Br. just a few signs saying it might happen!! and on the Sunday did 35 miles at under 14mph with two stops(Lunch and Tea) while Sean Childs was doing a 1.47 and winning the Camel Valley '50' back down in Devon some people never give it a rest. The National '50' next week which Jon and myself are riding was also supposed to be on the A50 (starting at Blyth Br.) but that has also had to be moved to a three lap course at Jodrell Bank (S Manchester) which should be fun as riders will be spaced at 20 second intervals as they fill up the course on minor roads with Saturday traffic and a farmer who apparently drives his herd across the road at 4 O'clock for milking right when the race is in full swing, nice!
Look forward to a full report next week


Touring the Shropshire lanes


Cafe on the canal at Oswestry

No comments: