Wednesday 10 June 2009

Landslide win in Local Election

After a couple of weeks of doom a win to lighten the mood on Tuesday at Mallory Park in the 3/4/w/J 30 lap sunshine special. I'd had a rest since the weekend and only rode to the circuit to see how my legs feel, they felt as bad as when I began but the barmy evening the sight of the Mallory flag on the hairpin with not a jot of movement convinced me to ride, that and a bit of barracking from some of the other riders I was last of the 69 riders to sign on. In a fit of enthusiasm I attacked after a few laps, got a bit of a gap and waited for somebody(s) to get up to me, and waited, and waited, I waited for nearly 10 laps (at 1.3 miles a lap that is a B****y long way!) as one group after another got off the front of the bunch but then got consumed again. My legs were getting a bit tired, I could feel the weekend riding begin to tell, I began to give up hope and went slower up the hill, eventually a rider (Derby Mercury?) did get up to me and then he has the cheek to say "You been lapped?" To be honest I was offended, I almost sat up but then some more got up to us and we worked for a couple of laps and then it was over, the bunch washed over us and we were all one again. A few more attacks came to nothing but with the finish approaching three were away 20 seconds or so ahead, a good lead, I did a few hard turns on the front to try and get the bunch working or at least to keep the break within catching distance. A few more got up making 7 or 8 and they began to look like a bigger target. I attacked to No Man's Land where an A Taylor (Ashfield RC) rider was stranded, we worked a bit and then Matt Sinclair (Leicester RC) Mr local fastman - let me see if I can bend this bike out of shape with just the power of my puny 6'3" and 14 st body and another Simon Skeggs (Lutterworth CC) made their way up to our duo and we made like a team pursuit to the leading group, we were reducing the lead but laps were disappearing, on the penultimate lap we bridged the gap at the bottom of the hill, now anybody who has seen me race at MP in the last few years will know that a last lap break (A la Cancellara - I like to think) my trademark move and I didn't even think as we made contact I just went for it narrowly avoiding a gap closing on the inside of the bend (anybody on my wheel would not have made it) and I just put my head down. Even If I do say so myself, I won it by quite a distance, I've been caught with half a lap even a quarter lap (not that exciting), on the last chicane, on the last bend (beginning to warm up) on the hill and with a hundred meters to go (very exciting!) but still not in the top ten but today I came up trumps and all the self doubt washed away, that's the value of a win, a vindication of your tactics and a fillip for the soul, you are a winner! Everybody was pleased, at least the older ones who like to see the youngsters loose one in a while, and I can swagger back to the car and give Fiona the winners kiss on a sunny evening. Perfect Full Result Here

No comments: