Thursday 25 September 2014

Leicester Win! - Stone Whs '25' - British Circuit Champs


Fastest of the year 51:45
I have a rest day after the '100' and I have done five sessions in five days coming up to a double header, the last ride was a 'recovery' to scout Sundays course for the RTTC National Circuit Championships up in the Charnwood Forest but by the time I've ridden there and back to work and done a lap of the course it's nearly 50 miles so not the best preparation for what I hope will be my fastest '25' of the year. The Stone Wheelers event a bit of a Curates Egg of a race on the reverse direction of the speedy Etwall course but over the years it has produces some speedy times despite finishing up the Concrete Mountain. Weather is looking favourable with the unusual East wind blowing us back the best conditions for this event

I have asked for an 'early' to facilitate as much recover as possible, some riders do it (apparently) to get more favourable conditions if they have local knowledge about the weather or say like today when Leicester now back in the Premiership are playing Stoke a mere bus ride away up the A50! And they think there will be lots of coaches returning from the match at a certain time
Andy Jackson's Falco
The race goes well, Its a bit harder going out than anticipated 10:25 and 9:32 put me level with my recent PB '10' time but the turn is slow here with two roundabouts and a drag back up to the main road 10:31 but once back onto the DC its fast 10:15 and I'm level with my best but It cannot sustain that pace and even though I average over 27mph up the Mountain I am left with 51:45. There are some cracking times though and I wonder where the winner Simon Wilson (Wheelbase) put 4 minutes into me! 47:43 just ahead of Andy Jackson (Swift) 47:43 and Richard Bideau (Pendle Forest) 48:32 all break the old course record, The latter his first open '25' but then he did 18:35 in his first event! the Charity '10' on the V718

As i returned from the event I was passed by two dozen buses with Leicester scarves in the window, first win of the season

Can't miss it!
I have second thoughts about Sundays ride and put 53-44 on my bike as the course is just too hard for a 50 inner and the fast sections not long enough to get the benefit out of a 'Dinner Plate'. HQ is Bardon and I find a quite corner of the car park to do 20 minutes on the rollers, legs feel remarkably good considering the pounding they took in the last five miles yesterday but that's improved fitness as well. As I ride up to the start I bump into my old friend Andrew, he has taken a few hours off to ride out and support me, I'm in a bit of a pre-race frame of mind so I hope he does not think I'm rude, its difficult to be easy going and race ready at the same time Fiona knows well enough to leave me alone in the hours (and days) coming up to a big event but I've had a good result yesterday so I can afford to have a bit of a chat. The start is one of the highest points in this part of the country and you have a panoramic view of the National Forest (most of its oak cut down to make the Tudor fleet but Abraham Derbys' smelting process took its toll of this area and its now has several large quarry's now the mining at nearby Coalville has ceased)

Waiting for the Off
The course has an uphill start (inner ring!) but then drops for the next few miles and my speed is over 40mph I dare not look down at my computer above that on aero bars as the road surface not the best. A left turn and the course is 'Rolling' I should have done my practise lap at nearer race pace as its difficult to get my tempo right over all these obstacles and the final part is up a steep hill and I'm in too big a gear and its not so smooth for all the spectators who have gathered here. There are a few cheers of "Go on Colin" well it is my local event, I didn't realise I was so well known. The second lap I get better, smaller gears, attacking the slopes and over the top, my legs feel OK but I think my HR is down as I lack that extra bit of power to smooth out the effort and get the best out of myself, it's all preparation and practise so no matter how well you focus performance suffers
In the end my time is about what I'd expect so after yesterday that's a bonus, I'm second in my 50-54 age group behind Kevin Tye (Velorefiners) who has won this six years in a row (and World age related TT Champ last year) so its to be expected, Michael Hutchinson, now 40! is the fastest of the Veterans and second Overall 43:17 Best on standard is 63 year old Chris Scawn (Plymouth Corinthian) 46:14 (+12:56) I'm 14th overall and 13th on standard
Fastest is 'Man of the Season' Matt Bottrill (drag2zero) racing on virtually local roads 41:50, a tie for 3rd place between Dave Crawley (Wrexham) and Brett Harwood (Terry Wright) and 4th Russell Hampon (Athlon Sport) only a second back so almost a three way! o7ò



Stone Wheelers 25 Result

RTTC British Circuit Champs Result

No comments: