Friday 6 June 2014

Before we begin..............

Never done a new season intro before just got straight on with the business of racing but then I never did quite finish that 'review' of the last season either, I put a few words together but somehow. How was I going to describe that? As I think I have said before nobody puts 'WIN WORLD TITLE' in their list of objectives for the year 'On the podium' yes but for fear of all those things that stop us achieving or just to stop a pastime turning into a full blown obsession you just have to hope its all you thought it would be. I almost never got my head around that I was a World Champion when you reach the summit everything looks a bit small so hard to tell if it's all real


Getting my award(s) from Jon-Allan Butterworth
There I've said it now so it must be true, well I had a nice day at the expense of British Cycling. In Feburary I was invited (for the second time) and I always said I would take Fiona when I was World Champion so I had to be as good as my word. The Hilton NEC was the venue so nice and local we could drive there and back and not have to spend the rest of the weekend with the odd assortment of people that made up the Sherlock Holmes convention that was on at the same time (don't ask!) I got to stand on a platform and get my picture taken with one of BC's 'real' World Champions have my picture taken and get a couple of certificates to memorialise my achievement.
John-Allan Butterworth in the red top tries
to keep warm with the brothers at HH


There followed a meal and we sat on a table with some of the other Masters John McClelland (who won his 25 minutes before mine thus spoiling my glorious day in Manchester of being the only British winner that evening) John a ten times (count them) British Champion with his first World crown Peter Ettles who also has ten British titles and was here picking up a double European but still to win at World level  "Are you ready to retire now"? Says he (The Scott's are such a dour bunch!) but they have produced some of our best track riders and Peter one of the best Masters around "I'll defend my title Peter" I could not accede and he wished me well. 


Inducted into the Hall of Fame
I was given my award by the British Paralyimpian and World medallist Jon-Allan Butterworth who i'd last seen and spoken to at a freezing cold Good Friday meeting at Herne Hill trying to keep warm on the rollers. He told me his story of losing his arm in a rocket attack while serving in the RAF in Afghanistan. Ex SWRC old boy Roger Hammond was inducted into the BC 'Hall of Fame' with Multi World and Olympic champions Rob Hales and 'Queen of the track' Victoria Pendleton, I had a quick word with Roger but I did not get a chance to talk to him about the club ten mile record. o7ò



Fiona gets a night out at the NEC

British Cycling Awards





No comments: