Wednesday 25 September 2013

PB(3)10 ~ 0.184 < 30 x 1/1207 = BC

Hutch (In-Gear) 18:01



My final TT of the season Team Swift Charity '10' (I forgot to enter the Manchester Whs '50') and I just have a two week build up to the World Masters now but it was good to finish on a personal best ride my second over this distance and third in a month

I made a special concession in removing my bottle cage and I can report that it's worth exactly a second over the ten miles though where I saved it I cannot tell, compared to a month ago my splits were almost the same for the out and return leg (10:02 & 10:05) with the first incorporating the tricky turn that cost about 10-15 seconds but I cannot see where I would have done it better.

Nick Frewin (Bournmouth Jubilee) 20:49 on a 92" fixed (105RRM)
On the day. My HR was at its max for the year 150 Av. and 157 Max (somewhere it has not been for a while) so maybe the Turbo session in the week did the trick. I was pleased with my cadence 90 Av. and 110 Max  although 94 on the way out and 87 on the way back as I began to suffer and resort to the bigger gears but apart from the finish I don't think I used top gear (56 x 11) and mostly it was the 13 & 14 where a month ago I 'bossed it' but only managed 85 RPM but I have been doing allot of speed work for the WM and no need to change tack now
Burns (Manchester Whs) 8th 19:21

So only a second, I would like to think its the fastest ride ever off the No1 position, I'd not started from there before and usually (traditionally) it's taken by a rider from the promoting club but I don't think having somebody to chase affected my ride, In these uber fast events you are unlikely to catch your minute man (although some did) and the only down side was I had to leave the house before ten to get to the event alongside the River Humber for my lunchtime start.

Perkins (Zenith) 2nd 19:00 (on a steel frame)
Conditions were better than before with a less strong South wind but as one local wag pointed out "It'll be slow because the tides out" the thinking being that the wind over the water would be at the wrong height but I could not see it myself and on that thinking we should be burning witches at the stake and using leeches for all manner of ailments! It was warmer than we had the right to expect at this time of year so after a furious 20 minutes on the rollers I had a furious five mile ride to the start where the Mrs (lady) timekeeper was positioning herself on the grass verge (no jokes about women drivers but she had to have a couple of goes at it!)

PB  20:07- Taxi for Mr Parkinson
I caught the marshals off guard at the turn as I don't think they were expecting anybody along nine minutes after the start but I knew the routine and I was beginning to puff by now having kept a lid on it with my wonder footwork on the way out. Nothing to save and I just went all out for the finish. the wag who said the tide was crucial said the final drag would be tough as well as the road comes around into the South but I found it not so and the few ounces I'd saved were all but gone by the time I hit the line in 20:07.8 with the hope that delayed reactions and the timekeeper gave me the benefit of the doubt

Perhaps I did not go hard enough from the start but I was only eight seconds slower to the five mile point and although I came back slower I felt that the couple of drags that could slow me down I dealt with better this time and It's only by using bigger gears that I'm going to get that Club Record, It's only 20 seconds but at this rate I'll be claiming my pension before I break it. 31st place does not sound impressive until you think there were three riders on 19:52 and 19:58 a few seconds ahead of me and another four on 20:03

Michael Hutchinson was in imperious form after having to defend his crown taking a few direct hits in recent weeks from Matt Bottrill AND young pretenders, he stormed around in 18:01 (his 3rd fastest) 13 seconds faster than last time to win. Back to his best local Midlander James Perkins (Zenith) was a big PB by over 30 seconds with 19:00 and Andy Jackson from the promoting club 19:15 a bit disappointed as he's been inside 19 minutes three times already this year on this course





Result Here

Photo's here


No comments: