Monday 13 July 2009

National '100' (Yorkshire Cycling Federation)

I sampled the delights of the Holiday inn again this week (with Fiona this time) in Wakefield in preparation for the National '100' Championship the next morning on the V275 course (A168-19 and around x 2 laps)on the edge of the North York Moors South of Middlesborough. So as we snuggled down with a bowl of pasta to watch crap telly the sounds of two weddings and a Silver anniversary reverberated around our hollow room.


Contemplating the off

A relatively late start of 7.30 (No 90) but we still had to be up at 5.30 in the dampness of an unpromising day, there was a noticeable lack of riders from the 130 men & women at the HQ with most opting to get ready elsewhere so me and another chap used the facilities, put my bike together in the drizzle and headed off to the start
The first 60 miles on Dual Carriageway so a chance to ease yourself into the ride I was scheduled for a 3.45 which meant going out hard but as I went through 25 miles in 56 minutes (10m in 22.30) and I had my three minute man just infront.

I was feeling the pace so eased a little after the first lap (30m) but I could not get comfortable on the faster northern journey and un-willing to get entangled in a 'race' with No 87 I just followed along at 1-200 metres. I went through 50m in 1.55.30 so I knew a sub 3.50 ride was out and I took the decision to use the ride as preparation for the 12 hour in a couple of weeks keeping my gears down and cadence at 90 RPM as from 60m we turned onto B roads and a bit more lumpy so a good test for the sort of conditions in the half day event.


Riders return down the A19 to Thirsk

I had a bottle of warm coffee to stave off the cold and the constant waves of showers but nothing too difficult, once on the second circuit I felt more comfortable varying my gears on the climbs to keep my revs constant my body felt better, 75 m came up in 2.54.30 and I knew I could pick the pace up and my No 87 was having a bad time after pulling away initially I quickly caught and passed him with 20m to go. Unfortunately I could not shed him and he turned the last part into a bit of a 'race' which is what I had tried hard to avoid, he pulled up to my shoulder on numerous occasions but did not have the strength to pass when out of my slipstream, I was a bit annoyed with has riding as he undertook me on a couple of occasions as we had to pick our way through the grit strewn and puddle roads (once when Fi was handing me a bottle!) not very good behaviour but he was very young (19) and while I was annoyed with this I had to say to him that what he was doing was very dangerous on roads where it was difficult for cars to pass.

Come in No 87 your time is up!


I managed 58.0 minutes for my last 25m and felt good at the finish, a shame that my concentration ruined by a bit of youthful competition but I did say to him at the end that I thought his behaviour was a danger to himself and left it at that.
My final time 3.52.23 good enough for 13th place and 2nd in my age category - Winner was Stephen Whitick (Utag Yahama) 3.48.45 been a bit of a nemesis all season but I do seem to be getting closer. Winner overall once again in impressive fashion Michael Hutchinson (In Gear) 3.27.26 from defending champion Kevin Dawson (Sportscover) 3.33.25 and in third place 20 year old Triathlete Philip Graves from a club with a good TT'ing pedigree (Clifton CC) 3.37.41 finding top level racing not quite the breeze that he thought it would be! Women's race won by Julia Shaw (Utag) 3.52.12 in a new Competition Record eclipsing the time set by Twickenham rider Jenny Derham in 1996 (3.53.04) somebody said they saw Charlie Burton at the finish and this was the heartland of his wife Beryl's record making (and breaking) roads but of course without all the 'aero' complications, I wonder what he thought of it all?

Dissecting a difficult race





Men's Result Here

Women's Result

Event Report





Hutch hogs the podium once again

No comments: