Thursday 14 May 2009

Windy Weekend

Another week battling fierce wind in the midlands, I (and the weather forecasters) had expected a let up at the weekend. I'd ridden at Mallory Park on the Thursday and the Ploughman Craven 'boys' were out in force having a bit of a get together before the Lincoln GP up the road on Sunday. In the end they carved up the field taking the first five places while I hung on in the bunch & finished in a group off the front in 12th but there were plenty of retirements in the worst (windy!) conditions I can hardly remember racing in.
Saturday did not bring any restbite for the South Pennine '25' on the A50 up at Uttoxeter, some riders had travelled a distance (88 returned entries for this popular course) but what they got was a windy welcome and a spit in the eye for their efforts. With Thursday's ride still in my legs I felt OK but unlike the BDCA the block headwind to the turn did not allow me any time to get into my stride and I battled all the way - with very little effect, I was supprised to keep up 25mph but the return was not the panacea it promised and although I averaged 30mph+ I ended up with a 54.53. I'd gone back a bit (-one & half mins) on some of my rivals although nearly everybody was slower than three weeks ago. Winner Bottrill (De Rosa) on a new Argon TT bike 49.30 (-only 4 secs!) Stuart Dangerfield (Shorter RT) making a comeback (from Australia) 2nd 50.03 from James Perkins (Zenith CC) 50.06 Top roadman Andy Tennant (Halfords) 4th 50.31 a foray into TT'ing to get a time for the National '25' and Barry Charlton (Lyme RC) 5th 51.28 (-one min 13 secs)

On the Sunday I rode over to watch the Lincoln GP as I'd had my entry back from the LVRC Alford RR (Late!) the sun was out from early I set off just after 8.30 as the race started at 10.00 and its shorter these days (only 86 miles) so as not to close the roads all day. I went the long way past Ragdale Hall (health spa) and along the Vale of Belvoir (Belvoir Castle) to Grantham and then past the numerous military air bases that dot this part of the landscape Londonthorpe, Cranwell & Waddington with a row of AWACS early warning aircraft lined up on the runway. 70m at 19mph on my winter bike (it usually rains, I've learned form years of riding to the event!) But today the arm warmers come off as I ride around the course, the field is pretty split up by this stage with a group of 10-12 off the front from which the winning trio will spring on the final lap.



One weekend you ride with them and the next their leading the Lincoln GP - John Tanner (Winner 1997 and 2nd no less than four times) only 15th today




Winner for the third time Russell Downing (Candi TV - Pinarello) from Ian Wilkinson (Halfords) and third Chris Newton (Rapher - Condor)

I then rode the 55 miles home straight along the A46 (Fosse Rd) with a bit of a tail wind as the heat went out of the day getting home at 5pm (at 21mph) 130 miles all told and my legs are a bit stiff, It's my first '50' next weekend so I'd better get them in shape, this is where the BBAR begins

No comments: