Thursday 14 May 2009

Catford '10' (Old Skool A+)


Bit of a rest week for me, so after getting caught in the last 200m at Mallory Park on Tuesday after being away for the last 6 laps on m'tod I only one event at the weekend. I had my second outing in the Planet X Old Skool series, this event on the Q10/19 had captured my imagination when I saw it in the series being one of the courses we raced all the time in the early 80's. I needed a focus for early season before the longer races of the BBAR begin next month, It looked like a fine morning, the sun was rising as I crossed the Queen Elizabeth II bridge at Dartford (just missed the cutoff for free travel at 6.00am!) as the morning progressed the wind got up a bit and I felt the early starters (6.15!) had the best of it and then as I was warming up on the rollers it began to drizzle and there was a dry patch under me on the tarmac as the rain got harder.
I decided not to put my 28 spoke wheels in (under the conditions) and the 'ski' slope at the start looked not as fiercesome as I remember it but as I came down at 48mph into the wind it was real enough, could not get top gear (the 11) but we only had a 12 top all those years ago age had taken it's toll on the spring in my Campag Super Record gear and I stopped pedalling half way down, it's a gradual climb all the way to the turn could I roll back the years on my old fashion machine, I was going OK but speed down below 20mph at one point - Cripes! and I dare not look at my speed going up to the turn after catching Carol Gandy my minute woman at the base of the slip road. I was 12.50 to the turn, not great I would have to go 30mph+ to beat 22 minutes, saw Cammish on the way back 7m behind me and gave him a nod and then gave it everything inside the white line (shortest distance) for the last mile as the road curves gradually round to the left to the finish at the base of the Tonbridge bypass. I'd stopped the clock at 22.15 a bit of a disappointment I thought as I'd set my heart on getting close to my old PB (21.10) but not on this day, just too hard, and we used to race on Saturday afternoon in the blazing heat, just what we didn't have so no fast time. My mood lifted when back at he HQ news came that I'd beaten Cammish (by 50 secs) a good margin and the first time since my comeback (if I ever have!). I'd won the Old Skool event and 17th overall (I was 78th in the Hull RC event! Cammish 76th) in the main event, winner Matt Miles (Wildside 707 RT) with 20.22 Full Result here Cammish was gracious in defeat and came over to congratulate me (where's the SWRC from then?) Alan and I a bit starstruck and he missed his photo opportunity (for the blog) Photo's of the event (I'm near the end)
My only problem fitting in the two 25 mile races to complete the series most of which clash with other events during the season.
I decided to enter the National'10' on the May Bank holiday weekend, never ridden it before, didn't have one in my day (for women and schoolboys only) promoted by the Newbury RC at on the B4000 at Wickham Heath the Sunday, there is a website here with lots of info, I am in but only 92nd fastest with 20.36 should be some event maybe some of the club riders would like to organise a ride to see what is one of the most spectacular events in the TT calendar, there's an Inter-club the day before and on the BH I've entered the Brighton Mitre MG (72") at Steyning (G10/97) but they also run a Hilly, Hub Gear! and Standatd TT event and one for Road Bikes so something for everyone, you can even enter more than one if you like

No comments: