Monday 6 October 2008

"Blowin in the wind"

And did it blow! The strongest crosswind I'd ever raced in for the Nottingham Clarion '25' on Saturday, thankfully the expected rain held off but it was touch and go as the event uses the A1 on the southbound leg of this two lap course and the B1164 back to Tuxford. 50mph gusts were blowing the riders into the kerb and I had to fight to keep a straight line, un-usually my arms as well as my legs ached afterwards!
After my record breaking ride last week it was back to normal with a 57.31 for 4th place (again) brought me down to reality after a week on cloud nine. There were quite a few non starters and a fair few DNF as riders decided that they could not cope with the conditions, others just rode on their 'oldschool outers' what is this not able to control my aero bars so I stopped racing, wouldn't have happened in my day
Winner was Kevin Dawson (Sportscover) having a quite season but under the conditions put in an impressive 53.02 for the F.A.Widdowson Memorial Trophy, 2nd was ten time winner Julian Ramsbottom (De Rosa RT) over a minute back in 54.12 Third was Bradley Johnson (Sportscover) in 55.29 who I would say is the new kid on the block, only 22 years old and a much improved rider this year, unusual for such a young rider to be up there in the BBAR and the long distance titles but along with (slightly older) Andy Baston (Wrekinsport) lending some youth to the Time Trialing scene. I took a couple of handy scalps by a handful of seconds Andy Eagers (Derby Mercury) and Ian Dalton (Cherry Valley) tied for 5th in 57.34
Getting close to the end of the season now but a few were eking out their season with me, riders like Dawson and Dalton have the final Rudy Project (leading Elite and Vets respectively) next week, I'm riding as It's local at Corby and I have the LVRC TT Championship the next day near Banbury. After that I have the Hillingdon '25' with Paul Alderson on the A404 at Marlow the week after and then the LVRC Track Champ's at Newport the first weekend of November. I hope to see a few of you a couple of weekends later at the same venue for the Track Training Weekend being organised by "Freewheelin'" Roger Jackerman, be there! Take it away Bob

No comments: