Monday 9 June 2008

'Super' form in fast '50'


Jonathon Thomas and I rode the API '50' on Saturday afternoon on the E2/50 course up on the A11/A14 near Newmarket, the same course I did a P.B. 10 mile not three weeks before. Again it was a super fast event in near perfect windless conditions and we came away satisfied with two P.B's and a new club record for me. Jon was a rider transformed from the one who could not break 23 minutes in the Inter club a couple of weeks ago and 'back to back' 56 minute '25' rides (the first more like 55 minutes) shows that he is returning to the form of before his knee operation.
Any sporting performance requires a great deal of self belief and crucially confidence, cycling is an individual sport and time trialling doubly so, no team to carry you along or mask a bad performance, no bunch to hide in only you and the elements and the open road stretching out ahead. Illness and injury are the achilles heel of belief and since coming back from his convalescence even with all his experience I felt Jon has just lacked that little with his confidence
You do all the exercises after the injury in the belief that you can come back as strong, you commit time and effort to getting up to fitness but still it does not seem to be working. Your belief in yourself is severely tested and you can begin to wane and you tell yourself its the best you can do.


Jonathon shows how pleased he is with a new best time at 50 miles of 1.53.45

We are all looking for that elusive quality of form that will transform our riding from the mere ordinary to 'super' form, experience plays it's part in keeping our expectations grounded and we are constantly looking for that one thing which will move us up that extra level. A new pair of shoes, a slight change of position or diet, there does not seem to be one factor that works for everybody, it is a constant search but it's a relief when it 'clicks' and great when all the elements that you have worked on for so long come together
Jonathon has shown great determination and fortitude to come back from his injury and this is his reward, a personal best and a vindication of all those hours and months of training, Jon has won his battle and I think we can look forward to some exceptional rides from him in the rest of the season. Well done Jonathon
For myself this was the first opportunity to pit myself against some of the best in the country at one of the BBAR distances, after the gruelling Anfield '100' only 5 days before I had a complete rest (although I may not have fully recovered)I went out on the morning of the race and could barely raise a gallop, until I realised my front brake was rubbing on my front wheel.
The race itself was fairly controlled, I went through the first 10 miles (out and home) at over 29mph or 20.40 which showed the speed of the day only a couple of seconds off my ride 3 weeks ago. I held a little back as I could not believe the return was going to be so easy but after a 'bumpy' dog leg at the turn I was trying to peg back the little I had given up, my dad always said "you never gain time in a time trial only loose it" and so it proved no matter how hard I tried (and my speed was above 30mph alot of the way) my average speed did not improve and then in the last 10 miles I began to suffer. I had held off my flying 4 minute man the 56 year old 'supervet' Ken Platts (Cambridge CC) until 40 miles when he passed me but I could not 'lift it', the finish is the usually the strongest part of my ride but not this time, he took 2 minutes out of me to the finish. I finished with 1.48.39 or 27.6mph
Who cannot be pleased with a 3 minute improvement and a Club Record 'to boot' the biggest improvement I have managed thus far in the '50' but there were some rides done that day, The winner Nik Bowler (Farnborough & Camb) recorded 1.39.03 the 4th fastest of all time a mere second off Graeme Obree's (Competition Record at the time), Ian Cammish (Planet X) who I felt had not done himself justice in terms of times over the last couple of seasons, sure we expect these guys to win events but he almost managed a personnel best(admittedly his P.B. was done without disc or tri bars!) just 26 seconds off 30mph, not bad for a 50 year old so there's something to aim at

No comments: