Monday 9 June 2008

'Bunk-up' in Bedford

Andy Jackson 12th 54.29
A busy twelve hours over the weekend, I rode the Headnor Clarion '10' at 6.45 on the A50 near Uttoxeter on Saturday evening and then the Finsbury '50' at 6.40 the next morning. I did the same last year and managed two P.B's but times have moved on and I was 30 seconds slower in both events, 21.42 was good enough for 6th not such a good evening, I made a big effort but I came up a little short on speed, I think that 105 miles ride out to watch the LVRC Road racing at Shipton on Stour last Sunday on a 72" fixed after the API '50' did not help.
 Richard Bradley 10th 54.21
The '50' went better after a few hours sleep at a friends in Bedford near the start at Tempsford on the A1, getting down from the top bunk of the spare room at 5 O'clock in the morning while half asleep was good stretching for my stiff legs. It took 25 minutes for me to get going in the race on a cool but not too windy day, there were several riders who had ridden the API '50' last week so I was interested to see what our comparative times were like.




After a fast start to Sandy we had a long pull to the turn at Buckden into a North wind, this was tough going and by the time I finished the first circuit of 25 miles in 56.44. More of the same followed and I ended up with eventual 5th place in 1.53.51, I dropped a place on Dave Green (RAF CC) who I beat last week by 20 seconds but this week he turned the tables, I had been 30 sec up on at half way. Like me the leading two Cammish and Platts were both 5 minutes slower than last week so no change there.



Eventual 11th Richard Prebble 54.25



Most of the leading time trialists were riding the National '25' just up the A1 at Sawtry, so after a large breakfast a brief sleep on the sofa plus earning my keep by trimming my friends out of control front hedge I took a nip up to watch the final thirty riders complete their Championship rides. The wind had got up a bit but on form and eventual champion Michael Hutchinson (In Gear RT) still managed a respectable 50.49 from Charles McCulloch (Shorter RT) 51.50 and Ben Instone (scientific coaching) 52.05 It's always good to go and watch the fast men and appreciate their effort and style, some of the fastest can hardly negotiate a roundabout while having terrific straight out power and speed.


3rd Place Ben Instone
Jonathon Thomas said he had been inspired before his recent fast '50' after watching the recent Championship '10' on the A3 lets hope some of the magic rubs off on me, I have a 'head to head' with Paul Alderson in the BDCA '100' next Saturday. This along with the following weeks National '50' up in Yorkshire marks the end of the beginning of this season for me , Fiona and I then have a week off in Portugal by the pool (Oh! I might take my bicycle)

Champion 'Hutch' Hutchinson

No comments: