Wednesday 14 May 2008

Zenith - Nigel Measom Two Day

Internet been out all week so more delay in posting updates, I have ridden this my local event the Zenith 2 Day based just South of Leicester around Gilmoreton, I had a good Prologue (3m) and came in equal 10th on the same time as Phil Rayner and Brett Harwood but with a good few scalps in a field of 30+ 1st Cats. Winner Matt Bottrill (De Rosa) was way out on his own (5.41) 25 secs faster than the next man Andy Profitt 30 secs faster than last year making my 10 sec improvement look ordinary, a good TT and then hold on tight as the 'Roadmen' take the field apart on the second stage Mark Lovatt (Planet X) won the speedy 2nd stage breaking away with Gavin Evans (Sportscover) after the Judges made us do an extra lap pushing the stage over 70m. With me hiding in the bunch and dropping a few places not picking up any time bonuses, myself and Andy Proffitt not credited with a finish (mainly due to the BCF not having anybody to staff the Photo finish equipment) we had to pertition the Chief Judge the next morning but got a ride
Sundays 80m stage using an enlarged version of the 2nd stage with a long draggy climb of over a mile and the first warm weather of the season making for hot and hard racing. I sat in waiting for the field to fracture under the constant speed and attacking but found myself away with Robert Wilcox (Ajchva Limoux) between the break and the bunch, Our group got bigger as several got up to us and we mopped up the leaders and I thought we were away for the duration but the charging bunch pulled us back after 2 laps and I was wilting (and cramping ) on the hills so I had to play it safe and finished in the bunch while a group got away and local rider Matt Barratt (Lutterworth CC) won the bunch sprint and finished 2nd O/A a mere 2 secs behind the winner Richard Meadows (Pezula Racing) and that after having a punture in the TT. I came in the bunch a minute down (24th O/A)

No comments: