Wednesday 14 May 2008

Operation Overload

Last week was a bit of an overload of racing with 130 miles in 4 days to cope with, I have only just recovered, that and a problem with the 'electronic highway'(Well it makes a difference from the usual atmospheric and vehicular strife!)
Last Thursday was Mallory Park #1. of the year, it had been raining all day so we were greeted by a damp but drying circuit by the time the race commenced. No nice big bunch to hide in just 35 wound up Elite 1st and 2nd cats, a few 3rd's but I had relinquished that status with a badly misjudged 2 points late in the season to take me above the threshold. The racing was flat out with constant attacking, a group of 8-10 got away and the race settled down into a 'bit and bit' frenzy with Dave Clarke (Team Lacuna) orchestrating the chase but riders dropped every lap until there was only 10-12 in the bunch. In the finale we caught most of the break which exploded under the pressure, I finished a little jaded in what remained of the bunch.
On the Saturday I equalled my PB for a '25' in the N & E Midlands VTTA event on the same course I roed last Sunday (excluding my ride in the Stone Whs event last year). A shade under a minute improved in six days to 56.30 in crosswind conditions making my out and home splits the same within a few seconds but I did change my 177.5 cranks for some 5mm shorter as I felt that the longer ones were inhibiting my higher cadence. I also put on my 56/50 combo that is my standard set-up but in doing so I realised I had been using my 50 instead of a 52 for all my racing thus far (Doh!)
Sunday was the Litchfield City RR near Tamworth, I had not recovered my 'legs' so sat in the whole race apart from the last 2km when I made a play for the front and pulled the bunch up to the break but as soon as we hit the finish hill I was going backwards. Phil Rayner who took 2nd (after being in the break!) said he set a new HR record high of 187 (up from 185) in the hill sprint only a couple of years younger than me it's something to aim at, his average for the race 156, mine I'm embarrassed to say 130, it went over 155 twice the average for my '25' the day before

No comments: