Wednesday 29 March 2017

MADISON TRAINING - LVRC Madison League

Phil and I in the Pro/Am Mercian Asphalts Madison at Wolverhampton Track in the summer of 1982. We went on to get 5th in the National that year
This is my second winter of riding the Derby Track League. We are lucky to have a Veteran's TL promoted under the LVRC banner and the brainchild of Ex Pro/International Track rider Rob Muzo. It's only every other week and I can fit in normal Derby Tuesday Track League once a month as well

Easy does it - Martin Perrett and myself do the Pas de Deux
Rob has also hatched a plan to run a Madison League over the summer and a National Championships in the autumn. So in an effort to improve standards and make the venture as safe as possible he has been running practice sessions for riders to get up to speed with the technique.

I had not done a modern 'hand sling' change before these sessions although I had ridden quite a few competitive Madison's and even been 5th in the National Champs with brother Phil. In those days hand slings were not allowed (only on the 6 day circuit as they were considered too dangerous) one had to stuff something into a pocket in your shorts that the other rider grabbed and flung you into the race (one of dads best 'Spongex' decorators sponges did the trick)

Perry Bradley (SFA now South Pennine) and myself
reunite for a bit of Madison training on our track 'Irons'


We have to find a partner for the series and I have Martin Perrett of the Headnor Clarion a good track man in his day, today we spend an inordinate amount of time chasing the pack at TL  while his son Will makes hay at the front, there's just no respect form the youngsters these days. I also do a bit of practice with Perry Bradley an Ex San Fairy Ann ('Fairies' to those that share their club) but now living in Leicester after thirty more years apart we raced as Schoolboys and Juniors before falling by the wayside. Literally in Perry's case as he seems to have returned back from every foreign racing adventure after some time in a hospital!

Perry and myself sprint it out for a Schoolboys win at Crystal Palace in 1977


I resurrect my 'Retired' steel Roberts for the sessions, with full taped bars for the experiment, I still have doubts about participation and leave the new bike in the rack expecting a bit of high jinx. Martin has a matching steel Rourke so we cut a fine pair as the Old-school pair but there is plenty of interest from those with little or no track experience let alone Madison and we escape mostly unscathed and our skill level increases with every session. I think I'm looking forward to the racing o7o7ò




 


 
 Will Perrett Madison footage of training at Derby Velodrome
Myself and Martin Perrett In the blue Masters jerseys
 (On the Derny from five minute's)


No comments: