Wednesday 2 June 2010

Anfield '100' - Rational thought in an emperical world

I'd done a 21:04 in the midweek Leicester RC '10' on the local Rothley (A6) bypass just North of Leicester for 2nd place, not a bad effort on a cold blustery evening with spitting rain but this was supposed to be a recovery week with lowest mileage of the year so far (181 miles) That included 40 miles at Mallory Park the next evening and with the Elite boys doing their stuff in the City center crit series it was left to those that remain (only 27) to make a race of it, this is always harder than following a race being made by somebody else as you have to make sure you don't overdo it on the front and end up going out the back if the speed goes up when you come off the front, I was caught in no man's land with 5 to go 20 metres off the back but managed to squeeze back on and finished in the (back of the) bunch
The 'resting' was extended to the Saturday when I DNS'ed the Beacon '10' on the Saturday giving myself the full weekend off as I have the Anfield BC '100' on the Bank Holiday and want to get through it with as much dignity as possible as its a bit of a sporting course with a reputation for catching out the unwary but I need a bit of a challenge at this time of year to bring on my fitness honed with quite a bit of speed but still lacking the depth necessary to feel comfortable over the longer distances. I ridden it a couple of years ago in very windy conditions but the event has such a long history and is the definition of a classic (first run 1889) with a good atmosphere and has drawn me back for a second crack at the course based at Shawbury to Terne Hill and Prees Heath and a circuit covered four times.
I was off No 90 ten minutes in front of scratch man Andy Bason (Team Pedal Rev) and as he had only beaten me by 21 seconds in last weeks National '10' I figured I would hold him off for the duration. It was quite a good morning cool and windless (compared to the day before when it had blown a gale) when I pressed the pedals for the first revolution of the race at 7.30, the first leg out to Prees Heath was harder than I anticipated and the first 10 miles came up in 24 minutes (25mph) and then the first 25 miles in 58:30 somewhat down on what I had planned. I took a gel as I went onto the circuit and decided that I would take it easy to half way and then see if I could pick it up from there as the promised hot weather was nowhere to be seen.
Fifty miles came up in 1:59:30 and it had been a bit of a struggle, It's difficult to express what goes through your mind at quarter distance (ie three quarters to go!) and you feel ....well.... not up to par, sure you think about stopping for a moment....and then again for another moment.... but you've driven over a hundred miles to get here and got up at 5.00 somebody had come out to help (Thank's Mick) your position feels a bit different.... too much weight on my arms.... visor steaming up and other annoying factors, forgot to put some cream in my shorts....so they'll be hell to pay for the rest of the week in the saddle! Just then Andrew Allan (New Brighton CC) my 5 minute man comes past, he is doing a good ride and it makes my heart sink a bit he is using a big gear but then Andy Bason comes past 30 seconds later and my heart sinks a bit more.....Oh god!.... I've still got nearly fifty miles to go.
The three of us ride in a line 5 seconds apart after Bason takes a bottle which holds him up a bit, Allan as all over his bike looking over his shoulder (at me?) and looking very uncomfortable on the uphill sections. I go past him on an incline close up on Bason and settle a bit, Allen comes past just the once but I can see his distress and he looks like he is ready to 'blow' Bason goes away into the wind but still in sight and I re-pass Allan and leave him, put my head down and concentrate on the rough roads up to the Esplay roundabout on the A53. (Allen climbs off at 75 miles DNF) 75 miles comes up just outside three hours and in my minds eye I have the finish in sight, my legs are still suffering and cramping up when I push too hard but I've taken a bottle at the feed station (1 x 500ml + 2 x 750ml at the start) as my helper is AWOL but I don't need anything else, another couple of gels at 50 & 75 miles but it's still overcast and I haven't over extended myself. A man gives me time checks "30 seconds up on No 80" Neill Skellern (Congleton CC) and "You can get 2nd" with a lap to go. I can't push any more, these roads have sapped my strength and I cross the line in 4:02:20
Bason has done 3:44:12 a second faster than last time I rode, I have gone nearly 10 minutes faster for 3rd place David Shepherd (GS Stella) has come in 2nd (after a long wait) with 4:00:58 Allan has a word with me at the finish "I started too fast" he's young (only 27) and will get plenty more chances to tame this his local classic (3rd last year) I walk away but when you make it to the end you know its an empirical victory with experience the winner on the day.

Andt Bason (Left) and Andy Wilkinson (2009 Winner)


Anfield BC Here

No comments: