Friday 15 January 2010

CTT Dinner & Prize Presentation

Just back from France Fiona and I were off to the Time Trialling fraternity annual bash at the East Midlands Conference Centre Nottingham



Now I've had an invite to this the past couple of seasons as an age standard winner in a National Championship (the 12 Hr.) but I did promise myself I would go if I got in the top 10 of the BBAR, so as I managed one place outside that and I would be churlish to split hairs (I may never do it again!) and its customary for all the top 12 to all get invited so I decided Fiona and I deserved a night out at the expense of the governing body. as it was we had friends coming to stay so we had to leave after the speeches.
There was an hour to mingle and chat, so we all got a chance to see what everybody looks like without 'Lycra' and a aero helmet, there was still plenty of snow around so quite a few could not make it (DNS) unlike the racing year when most of these 'faces' are racing all season long I could have done with everybody wearing name tags but Fiona was happy to breeze round and chat to anybody as she does at a race while hanging around in a lay by for 4 hours! A new format(apparently) as I have nothing to compare it to as the last time I think any club member went it was at the Albert Hall and Jacques Anquetil was guest of honour. The prize part was run off in the auditorium before the meal and efficiently done with an MC doing a little resume of the riders year and a projected photo so we all knew who we were looking at "Ah! that's what Julia Shaw looks like!"

Julia Shaw & Michael (The Doc) Hutchinson (Un-masked)

Chairman (Woman) Sheila Hardy was doing the honours and the guest was long time road professional Dan Lloyd (Cervelo Test Team), placed riders in National Champs and the BBAR riders were done in alphabetical order so a bit of chopping about from Vets to Schoolboys, Women's and Senior titles and distances, then the individual Champions to make a final line up, John Woodburn gave a bit of a speech from copious notes (blind as a bat - apparently) to much merriment from the stalls although an outsider would have been hard pressed to make nay sense of it.


The meal followed so we all found our tables with the Champions making individual entry to polite applause as we were all starving by this point, Smoked samon starter with Roast Pork for the Carnivores and (overcooked) risotto for the 'Veggies' like Fi and the man (next to me!) who had pipped me to the 10th spot, Neill Skellern (Congleton CC) Charming adding insult to injury! But seriously a very nice guy we had got to know each other over the season. Pudding consisted of a good old pud of Jam Rolly-Poly which no cyclist could resist but could have done with a bit of proper Creme Anglaise (Custard for you heathens) instead of 'custard foam' that we got.

Fi - Waiting patiently

A couple of quick toasts and speeches (the Queen, Guests & Visitors etc) Dan Lloyd gave a very good speech, I'd been to the toilet just before and had a quick chat to the main man, to give him his due he did not appear nervous (apart from being in the gents!) as he reminded me from earlier in the evening "Are you that rider that rode the track after the 12 hour" I had to confess it was "Madness" and I would not be attempting it again.

His chainring was this big!


Dan kept it simple on his cycling career and being a professional (and it's what we all want to hear, sharing a room with Carlos Sastre etc) but he was very entertaining and it was soon time for us to be hitting the road while everybody else prepared to over indulge and get their dancing legs out. It was a nice evening and we were sad to be dashing away but I hope to go again some time soon.

Reap the reward (for all that effort)


'Woody' Woodburn goes 'Off Piste'


Champions all

No comments: