Wednesday 12 August 2009

Record breaking week (for the SWRC)

Seems it has been a record breaking week for the SWRC members, with Tom's efforts in the WLCA '50' we also have Ruth Hutton smashing the Women's '10' record last Saturday (1st Aug) in the Charlotteville CC event on the A31 - Bently Bypass (H10/8), her time of 23.00 (26.087 mph Av.) knocking almost 30 seconds off her own record set 10 years ago, she took the women's prize, event was won by Stephen Whitwick (Utag Yahama) 20.08.
I followed this up on Saturday with a reduction of the '50' time in the BDCA event on the A 50 between Etwall and Uttoxeter, officials and riders were left in a quandary as there were cones out for inspection on the upper part of the course so the event was changed to two laps of the '25' course instead of going all the way to Blyth Bridge.
A one hour delay made for some anxious moments as the inspection crews were vague about how long they would be on the course but we eventually got away in what were ideal conditions (for this summer) light wind and a bit of heat. After my miserable ride in the Pennine event last week I was more recovered and less travelled this week and my ride reflected this although I was still short of some top end power and I can only put this down to tiredness and having spent more time than usual on track preparation but with that out the way I was free to indulge my 56 chain ring a bit more.
It was harder out to the turn so I saved a bit for the second lap posting 53.30 for my first '25' mile lap after getting caught in a slow moving convoy which meant riding up the centre of the dual carriageway for 5 miles.
My second lap was slightly slower at 54.30 but a total time of 1:48:04 (27.76 mph Av.) reduces the record by 35 seconds and gives me a current BBAR time of 25.71 mph for the '50' '100' and 12 hour (which is a new record in itself)
Julia Shaw (Utag Yahama) broke the Women's Competition record for '50' miles with 1:46:49 beating Jill Reames time from 1997, Event was won by current BBAR Nik Bowdler (Farnb & Camb Whs.) just outside 30 mph Av. with 1:40:01 seems like Ruth Nik and myself could do with a bit of finishing practice to get those last few seconds off!
N.B. This may be the last ride on my beloved 'Sigma' frame, the old bike (as it were) she was third hand when I accuired her from Ex club member Steve Gowar as a road bike but after a season on the road she has done me proud and all my rides of note have been done in her company. I have come to the end of the line as I feel she cannot take the battering I put her through week after week. I have my first all carbon frame.

No comments: