Monday 22 September 2008

YRC '50'

Final events in the 2008 British Best All Rounder were completed this weekend (I have re-scheduled BDCA '50' next w/e but not BBAR qualifier) so while Paul Alderson was doing a 200 mile round trip to the Severn RC event on Sunday I had a second 250 mile trip up to North Yorkshire in two weeks for the Yorkshire RC event on Saturday afternoon.
The day was glorious and sunny for a change and I got quite excited at the prospect of not getting wet in a race (last time 27 July). No hold-ups on the way there so plenty of time to get ready and to the start. Once on the way in the race it was obvious not a 'float' and I had to struggle with the cross wind to keep up a good tempo, my pulse was above 90% from the start and there was no point where I felt comfortable or 'ontop' of the ride. I went through 25m in 56 minutes so I knew a PB was out of the question but I pressed on for a placing, I tried to pick it up on the fast sections and not loose time on the tougher parts but I was going so far into the red that I knew I would pay for it later, sure enough in the end the body said enough and with average pulse of 154 and max at 167 this felt like a '10' or '25' effort I was way over my normal comfort zone for the longer distances
I ended up in 6th place with a time of 1.52.10
I was interested to see what Ex. Comp Record holder Andy Wilkinson (Port Sunlight Whs.) would do and he didn't disappoint, his time of 1.41.44 was a clear winner in only his 3rd or 4th outing of the season. This ride was done on a mountain bike with triple chainset (in this respect he was copying myself who used one in the early season) modified with aero bars and TT wheels. He had ridden this to 283 mile win in the W Cheshire 12 Hr. (to make up the team!) and only lacked a '100' mile time which would have put him in the top 5 of the BBAR.
Photo's courtesy of cyclingimages.co.uk

No comments: