Monday 28 July 2008

Doubling Up

I've ridden a couple of '10's on my new 'Fixed' TT bike in the last few weeks to get the position right and experiment with gearing, way back in the distant past we used to ride 'Fixed' but were more than likely to restrict ourselves to a gear in the 80" or low 90"s (inches) which is what we used on the track.
Since then (post Obree) gearing with a 'Fixed' has never been so modest and gears above 100" is the norm and I've seen riders with gears 10 or 20 inches bigger (Chris Boardman did Competition Record 45.57 on 110" 'Fixed')
I only found out mid-week that my entry for the Saturdays Shaftsbury '50' had not been received so my attempt to do 'back to back' 50s at the weekend was thwarted. I was going to ride my TT bike on the Saturday event and a 'Fixed' in the Icknield '50' on the A1 at Bedford on Sunday
As it turned out on Saturday Michael Hutchinson (In-Gear) beat competition record by nearly 2 minutes with a winning time of 1.35.27 (Av 31.43mph or 5 x 19.05 '10's) from Ian Cammish (Planet X) 1.41.41
Cammish turned up at the Icknield event and would have been expected to win but his time of 1.47.10 was only good enough for 2nd place (again) beaten by Jason Gurney (Team MK) 1.46.43 obviously suffering the effects of the day before. The day started beautifully as the large orange sun rose in the distance as I drove to the start. The sort of day that time triallists dream of, warm for my 6.30am start without a breath of wind. I started fast on gears and tried to up the pace after the short first leg down the A1 to Sandy, but my average speed never topped 28mph and my legs felt a bit dead so I knew I would have to 'push it on' and that is always less comfortable. I was 5th at half distance in 55.08 but dropped a position with my final time of 1.51.25 (27.1mph Av.)
Paul Holdsworth also doubling up won the Middlesex '50' in 1.51.33 (See Simon's exploits - below) after 1.45.49 the day before for 6th

Shaftsbury '50'
Icknield '50'
Middlesex '50'

No comments: